Saturday, October 5, 2013

Fallacies of Psychiatry

Quote :
" How many times has a patient told me when I ask about depressive or manic symptoms, "Yes, but I was depressed because of x, y, and z"? Or, "I get manic when I get really interested in things"? How many times have I seen mental health clinicians downplay a mood illness diagnosis because they were associated with many psychosocial stressors?
These psychological judgments are essentially made on the basis of common sense. But if common sense were enough to explain things, then our patients would have convinced themselves, or been convinced by their friends and family. If a patient crosses the threshold of a clinician's door, then common sense has failed -- no need to keep using it. What is needed is scientific sense, which is quite different than common sense. "
Nassir Ghaemi, MD, MPH

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/811956

No comments:

Post a Comment